Shep’s Place Senior Dog Sanctuary, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable foundation incorporated in the State of Missouri, charter number N000705469. We operate out of a renovated old house in Independence. We opened for business in April, 2019.
- The goal of Shep’s Place Senior Dog Sanctuary Inc. is to operate a sanctuary for homeless senior dogs in the Kansas City area. We believe senior dogs deserve to live out their lives in a safe, loving environment. Our facility and volunteers are dedicated to caring for these dogs, to give them the support and attention they have lost. We will try to find new families for them, but if we can’t, we will be their family and home, for as long as they live.
Board of Directors
Shep’s Place is overseen by a Board of Directors, which has five members.
- Dr. Russell Clothier, President and General Manager, has a PhD in experimental quantum Physics, which, it turns out, has surprisingly little to do with running an animal shelter. He has taught Physics at the college and high school level for 30 years. Raised a cat person, he is a convert to the dog world, and is trying to make up for lost time by starting Shep’s Place.
- Lisa Seigle Burke, Treasurer, is a CPA at CBIZ MHM with 25 years of tax experience specializing in the not-for-profit industry.
- Susan Cole, Director, Social Media, is a Registered Nurse and has a degree in finance. Her hobbies include photography and dog training, which have come in handy for Social Media. She joined Shep’s Place after the passing of her own rescue dog, Moe.
- Trish Herbig, Volunteer Coordinator. She has 32 years of professional education experience, including 12 years as a teacher and 20 years as a school administrator. She has raised and loved dogs her entire life. She is now retired and thoroughly enjoying her volunteer experience time with Shep’s this past year.