Shep’s Place Senior Dog Sanctuary, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable foundation incorporated in the State of Missouri, charter number N000705469. We operate out of a renovated old house in Independence. We opened for business in April, 2019.
- The goal of Shep’s Place Senior Dog Sanctuary Inc. is to operate a sanctuary for homeless senior dogs in the Kansas City area. We believe senior dogs deserve to live out their lives in a safe, loving environment. Our facility and volunteers are dedicated to caring for these dogs, to give them the support and attention they have lost. We will try to find new families for them, but if we can’t, we will be their family and home, for as long as they live.
Board of Directors
Shep’s Place is overseen by a Board of Directors, which currently has five members.
- Dr. Russell Clothier, President, has a PhD in experimental quantum Physics, which, it turns out, has surprisingly little to do with running an animal shelter. Raised a cat person, he is a recent convert to the dog world, and is trying to make up for lost time by starting Shep’s Place.
- Lisa Seigle Burke, Treasurer, is a CPA at CBIZ MHM with 25 years of tax experience specializing in the not-for-profit industry.
- Amy Caviness, Secretary, has been an active participant in animal rescue for many years. Her favorite saying is “Adopting a senior pet isn’t about the number of breaths they have yet to take, but the number of times that they will take your breath away.”
- Angie Bloss, Director, has been involved with dogs from childhood to present. She is a Registered Vet Tech with 10 years experience in private practice, and works currently at Great Plains SPCA. She is also involved with the Animal Justice League of American, fighting against animal abuse.
- Kim Stowers, Director